Special Educational Needs (SEND)

Mrs Kate Dawson is the SENDCo (Special Education Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator) at Cowling Community Primary School. As SENDCo Mrs Kate Dawson coordinates the support SEND children receive and works closely with parents and external agencies. She can be contacted on headteacher@cowling.n-yorks.sch.uk. Or 01535632198.

What are Special Educational Needs or Disabilities?

(Definitions of special educational needs and disability (SEND) taken from section 20 of the Children and Families Act 2014)

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they: a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.
A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if they fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.

Children must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language or form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.

At Cowling Community Primary School we appreciate that some children may have different or additional needs to others and may need extra support to access the curriculum. All Teacher in school scaffold/support/differentiate their work to ensure that it meets all children’s needs.

Children who have Special Educational Needs, may need extra help in a range of areas, including

  • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • social skills including making friends or relating to adults
  • behaving properly in school
  • organising themselves
  • sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school

How will you know if your child has Special Educational Needs?

You will be informed by your child’s class teacher if we feel your child needs to receive some extra, or different support. You will then be invited to meet with Mrs Dawson and your child’s class teacher to discuss a way forward for your child. The level of extra help is known as SEN Support. This could include:

  • different teaching strategies
  • extra support from an adult
  • using particular equipment
  • interventions

If we feel that your child has an SEN that requires external support we will always seek your consent before we make a referral to gain specialist advice or support to help us meet your child’s needs. This could include a specialist teacher, Educational Psychologist or a speech and language therapist. You will always be informed by your child’s Class Teacher and/or Mrs Dawson of the outcomes and recommendations of any referrals made.

How do we meet the needs of SEND children?

If we feel that your child has SEND we will devise an SEN Support Plan which will outline what we feel they need in place to help them progress through the education system. This may be provision within school and/or through external agencies. The SEN Support Plan will give specific targets and outline how children are being supported. It will also include information on specific areas you can work on at home with your child. Your class teacher will invite you in every block to discuss and sign your child’s SEN Support Plan.

If your child’s needs continue to hinder their learning and development and we feel we need additional support in school order to deliver the required provision it may be necessary to apply for an Educational Health Care Plan (previously known as statements).

SEND – Local Offer

All North Yorkshire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND.)   They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, whatever their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.   The Local Authority publishes its Local Offer which provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place.

Find out more from the North Yorkshire County Council website